- More than 180 illustrations, including anatomical and spectrogram images
- Clear and detailed information about the anatomy and physiology of the tongue relative to the entire vocal tract
- The text features introductions, analysis, explanations, and practical applications
- Well-defined and practical exercises for each consonant group
- Evidence-based information that combines extensive both research and teaching experience with ultrasound in the voice studio
- Bolded key terms and a comprehensive glossary
- A PluralPlus companion website with color versions of the figures from the book
To be in the way, or to be out of the way, that is the question. Voice users and scientists alike agree that the tongue is a crucial part in singing. Yet, there has been no literature published that solely addresses the tongue and its acoustical influence in the context of technique. The Tongue as a Gateway to Voice, Resonance, Style, and Intelligibility finally answers the question which has plagued voice users: how does the tongue affect my singing and how can I manipulate it for my purpose?
This book is unique in its approach to, and concentration on, the singing and speaking of consonants. In the world of voice, consonants are often overlooked in favor of a vowel-centric approach to vocal pedagogy. By combining voice pedagogy with vocal science, Dr. Angelika Nair breaks down the mysteries of the tongue and its effect on consonant production for a fascinating new take on the human voice.
In addition to up-to-date scientific information, this work provides practical resources for singers, actors, and voice pedagogues of all genres, including exercises, step-by-step instructions, and easy-to-follow illustrations. Readers of The Tongue as a Gateway to Voice, Resonance, Style, and Intelligibility have the opportunity to explore the voice as a whole and fully visualize the hidden nature of voice production for immediate application in their own singing.
The author presents the complexities of voice science in simple and accessible terms, so it is applicable to anyone interested in enhancing their performance or teaching.